On-going support to the hurricane-ravaged residents of Pearlington, Mississippi

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I'm back in the world....

Good Morning,

As Rita builds in the Gulf of Mexico, I am over-nighting in Kentucky as I head home. I am tired and beginning to feel very sad. I did what I could, but my heart is still there, as my new friends in Pearlington brace for what may come....again.

I will begin now to post the daily logs I was unable to send. Thank you for all the comments, especially the ones from the individual criticising my work. Down here, we call such people "clipboards." I've met them all over the world; people who criticise from the safety of their armchairs, but who would never stand a watch or drop their clipboards long enough to fill their hands with a hammer, or some food or a stethoscope and actually DO something. Oh well. Talk's cheap when you're safe at home.

Please pray for the people of the Gulf. Their resilience is remarkable and they deserve a break. Especially Pearlington, forgotten in the shadow of New Orleans, 15 miles across the Bay. Thanks for the prayers you HAVE made - "Camp Renegade" is a going concern and now they may stand a chance, as you will see....

God bless,
Jon

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Jon, cynical here - let's do the numbers. One or more weeks off work, renting a truck, gasoline for the truck, over-nighting along the way to and fro. Must have cost at least $1000, outside of the money you could have earned for that amount of time off work. The food you received from the Salvation truck was one less portion for someone there, the tent ....... who knows what else you needed. What if you had stayed, worked for those two weeks, donated the money you earned, plus the money it cost you to get there, to the Salvation Army relief, or any other relief organization? Jon, that's what we did and it is no less than what you did, but we're not blogging about it. Strangers rolling into town creates added stress for the authorities in trying to maintain law and order in chaotic situations like this, so there's energy expended by the authorities that could be diverted to their more productive activity. It's
simplistic to think that we can, or should, all drop what we're doing and head off to help. Our society has now organized structured relief organizations to do this work. If one wants to make that one's life's work - join one of these organizations - there are many and they're not all badly run. Contributing money to a reputable relief organization is the best way to go, the relief workers are employed, the work is co-ordinated, the security clearance is visible to the authorities, the bulk purchasing power is available etc. etc. Doing what you did is definitely not the best way to go, in my opinion, and could have got you hurt, or sick. Clipboarders are needed also in life, they can see with a wider lens and see what's the best approach.

VOR

10:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I applaud your efforts and if circumstances were even slightly different in my life, I would have shared your trip and burdens. It takes all kinds to make the world go around, and I would hands down choose to "go around with you and Marion"
Nancy

1:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home