On-going support to the hurricane-ravaged residents of Pearlington, Mississippi

Monday, September 12, 2005

In the arms of the angels - 9/11

Good morning, Dreamers:

I have over-nighted in Sheppardsville, Kentucky, south of Louisville, after an uneventful 11 hour drive toward the Gulf coast. The border crossing at Fort Erie took under 20 seconds and the agent didn’t even take my proffered passport. This is in contrast to the 90 minutes we endured at Detroit last summer, being grilled like cheese sandwiches.

The day was bright and warm, hitting 33 degrees at one point – comfortable, though, without our patented humidity. Gas prices, so far, are just under $3.00 a gallon. People are friendly and many cars are festooned with ribbons, commemorating either the men and women serving overseas or 9/11.

The Ford Explorer I rented was unavailable (big surprise) so I ended up with a Dodge Durango – fully loaded. It’s so bright a red, I feel like I’m driving a fire truck. Mmmm….maybe I can use that to my advantage…. It reminds me of my first trip to Croatia and Bosnia. I was able to rent a white Volkswagen Golf in Zagreb and I headed into the war zone. I didn’t understand why I was waved through so easily at all the checkpoints until I realized that the UN vehicles were all white Volkswagen Golfs, just with big UN sticker on the doors! Worked for me….

Upon further quiet reflection, and inspired by a conversation Saturday with my way-too-bright daughter Lindsay, I have decided that ALL donations received for Project: Katrina will be set aside in a special account. We will use these funds to facilitate whatever action is chosen as a result of what I find down south. All of the expenses for the trip itself will be borne by Marian and myself.

Speaking of Marian….what a wonderful woman and partner. I miss her already. As we were dancing at the wedding Saturday night in Burlington - to Elton John’s “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” - I realized how challenging it might be for my wife to love such a “wild-eyed wanderer” as me, but she does, with all her heart. It took me half a lifetime, but I thank God every day we found each other.

Shower time. It may be my last for a while. I don’t know. Stay tuned and please know that I feel your prayers. Everything has gone so smoothly. I am, most certainly “in the arms of the Angels.”

Stay tuned….

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

Please continue sending us email updates whenever you post on your blog.

Saeed

"The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment in unison with it, that was the miracle."
- Anais Nin

9:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May today there be peace within. May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not fortet the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use these gifts that you have received and pass on the love

12:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
Bless you and guide you and support you and protect you.
Amen

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, my love.
R

3:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry I missed this trip with you. I am with you in spirit. I have the utmost faith and confidence that you will find a path and will fill a void. God Bless. Nancy

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home