On-going support to the hurricane-ravaged residents of Pearlington, Mississippi

Monday, September 26, 2005

Delayed Posting for Saturday, Sept. 17

Saturday, Sept. 17 - Pearlington, Mississippi

Another scorching hot and muggy day and things are hopping at Aid Mart. The Okies have gone home, but Anita has agreed to stay until Wednesday and Anastasia, Steven and their kids have agreed to drive all the way back from near Tulsa to retrieve her. Thank God, we really need her here to run the back while I organize and issue at the front. Trucks are coming more frequently now, from churches and groups all over the southern states. We are getting more tents - and good ones - flashlights, batteries, sorted clothes and food. There still is no fresh food; no meat, cheese, milk, eggs etc., but we are getting some fresh bread and a bit of fruit - apples, bananas and a few oranges. Dog and cat food arrives, as well, and we divert it to whatever group is on hand to deal with wandering pets and livestock that are starting to be found in town.

We have a good system now. Young Ben, from Walton County, takes up position in the small room at the front that originally contained the Clinic, which has been moved to a clean room in the other building, beside the Shelter. His job is to hand out the restricted materials at my request, restricted only in that we want to make sure they get in the appropriate hands. Tents of differing sizes must go to residents depending on the size of the group needing shelter. We don’t have enough, for instance, to put two people in a five-person tent. We got in some larger ones from China, that house about 10 people, some from Rotary International that are good for a family of five and some smaller ones for couples or individuals. We now have some air mattresses (which we keep for the elderly, children or infirm) and some pads that we give out more freely. Anita runs the back, organizing the sorting of food and clothes and helping people find what they need. More volunteers are showing up now and the unloading of trucks is easier. The guys from FEMA chip in, as do the firefighters who have come from all over.

The young doctor originally from Canada is leaving today. Three times he tells me how tough it is to leave this place. The last time, I embrace him and tell him I know exactly how he feels. He’s stood his watch with care and vigour and now it’s someone else’s turn. He’s crying as he leaves.

It’s a very busy day and each arriving truck is like Santa coming - we never know what we’re going to get, but need it all, whatever it is. I carry a roll of paper towel everywhere, as the sweat rolls freely and abundantly the entire day. I call many of the residents by name now, and they do the same with me. Calls for “Canada Jon” abound. In the evening, I take a much needed shower and join my nurse friend Jen, from the west coast, and Shawn, Skylar and Tom - renegades from the Red Cross - and a few others to regroup and support each other. It's an emotional evening and the release is healing. I can see how each of us is changing and impacting our deepest stuff on a very real and personal level. We draw close to each other as we share this common peril....and we become someone different; more real and naked.

Portland Tom has offered me the Perfect Sleep. He has a room in the back of his trailer that, if he leaves the inner door ajar, should provide some cool air from inside the mobile home. It's private and has its own entrance and I set up my air mattress on the metal floor, my pillows and light blanket. FINALLY, I will get a real night’s sleep. I retire from the get together and head for bed, knowing that dawn will come soon enough.

Exhausted, I sink down onto the air mattress, only to discover the air has all gone out of it. I spend the night on the hard metal sheeting and am thankful for the cool air that envelops me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home